Attention Coaches with 9AM games:
The Bicenntennial Park gates do not open until 7AM. If you get there earlier than that, do not be alarmed. the Park staff opens them promptly at 7.
I just didn't want any families to panic when the saw the gates.
Attached are the rules for the tournament.
Also, a few housekeeping things to take care of:
Reminder to have your rosters available for access upon request (Dropbox, etc.) along with ready access to birth certificates.
As you have read previously, we are having skills competitions following the conclusion of the final pool play games tomorrow. The 12U divisions will start their skills competitions at approx 7pm, and the 13U at 7:30pm. We hope to have the skill compeitions completed in around 90 minutes.
There are 4 skills competitions: 1) home run derby, 2) fastest stolen base, 3) fastest catcher throw down to second, and 4) around the horn double play (6-4-3)
Therefore, all coaches need to select 2 players to complete in the first 3 competitions, and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd baseman for the 4th competition.
Trophies will be awarded to 1st place in each skill competition. There will be a combined 12U division and 13U division for these skill competitions. Please furnish me with those names at your earliest convenience tomorrow, or you can text me those names directly at 810-814-0422. Please include your team name and age division in that text.
Rules for each skill competition will be discussed at the beginning of each event.
1) Each home run derby contestant will get 3 outs, and may select any pitcher (may be a coach) they choose. Any bat is allowed as long as the drop is the correct age level (e.g. -10 for 12U, -8 for 13U)
2) Catchers may use any pitcher they wish to pitch to them. Timer will start when the catcher receives the ball. Each catcher will get 2 throws, better one is used.
3) Bases will be age-appropriate distances (12U - 70', 13U - 80')
4) Coaches will hit ground balls to their respective third baseman for the double play contest. Timer will start when the 3rd baseman receives the ball. Clean outs must be completed at 2nd and 1st, or the time will not count. Timer will stop upon the first baseman making the second out. All 3 positions will start at double play depth.
There will be concessions, food trucks, and the dunk tank. Several coaches have already volunteered to get dunked, and for that I'm grateful. If you have not volunteered, and would like to, just let one of us know at the concession booth tomorrow.
I hope all of you have a safe and fun tournament, and again, many thanks for your support for our charity!!!!!
As we get closer to our June 11, 12 tournament dates, there are some highlights that I’d like to share.
To make the tournament a success, I’d like your help with the following items:
1) Our tournament, as you may already know, includes a skills competition on Saturday evening at Bicentennial field in Grand Blanc. The skills competitions will be featuring a series of events: Fastest from home to second base, Home Run Derby, Catcher pickoff, and around the horn double play. To make these events run as smoothly as possible, within our allotted time requirement, we need every coach to nominate 2 players from their team for each event, except for the double play event, where you will need 1st, 2nd, and 3rd basemen. Rules for each event will be discussed at the beginning of each event, and corresponding awards will be given for event winners in each age division.
2) We are currently taking orders for tournament t-shirts. They are a heather gray dri-fit shirt, with the tournament logo on the front, and the complete list of teams and divisions listed on the back. To ensure that your shirts are available at the tournament, please have your teams and families order their shirts NO LATER than midnight this Sunday, June 5th. We will only have limited quantities available for sale at the tournament. Follow this link to order the t-shirts.
3) To add some more fun to the tournament, we will be featuring a dunk tank. We need coaches who wouldn’t mind getting wet for a good cause to volunteer between, before, or after their games to be dunked. We are also recruiting some umpires for this as well for a unique experience. Please text me directly at 810.814.0422 to volunteer, or if you have any questions.
Finally, I would just like to sincerely thank each of you for registering for our tournament. All proceeds from the tournament benefit our non-profit charity, Ireland’s Dream. Ireland’s Dream is a 501(c)3 children’s charity that provides innovative medical care to children with cerebral palsy. Please keep us in mind for our Fall tournament as well. It provides a first glimpse of your team for the upcoming season!
The following venues are being used for this event.
Burton Bentley High School
Creasey Bicentennial Park
All event related questions should be directed to Mark Morningstar at email@example.com or call 810-814-0422.